Welcome to the amazing world of lilies! With over 100 species, lilies are some of the most diverse and dramatic blooms around. They are one of the most popular flowers in the world. Steeped in cultural symbolism that goes back centuries, lilies are cherished and revered by many. Here at Flowers by Coley, we like them for their striking beauty and awesome sweet fragrance!
Lilies have had a few different meanings in various cultures, but generally, these amazing blooms are known to represent grace, royalty, beauty, and rebirth. As with other flowers, their symbolism also depends on their color so when choosing lilies to gift someone, keep the below guidelines in mind.
- White lilies express purity, virtue, and innocence.
- Pink lilies express abundance and prosperity.
- Red lilies express love and passion
- Orange lilies express confident, wealth, and pride
- Yellow lilies express joy, thankfulness, and good health
Quick Lily Facts
- The lily is a flowering plant that grows from bulbs.
- They belong to the genus Lilium.
- Some lily species have large, colorful blooms that are very fragrant.
- True Lilies all 6 petals and 6 anthers (oblong pods that contain pollen).
- Lilies are common in weddings and other regal ceremonies.
- Lilies are poisonous to cats, so keep your furry friends away from them!
- There are nine divisions, or categories, of lily types.
- Lilies are one of the longest-lasting cut blooms with a long in-vase lifespan.
Lily Classifications & Examples
Pink Pixie Lilies
Division 1: Asiatic Hybrid – Colorful, attractive, and long-lasting. Not fragrant. (Tango, Forever Susan, Orange Pixie)
Turk’s Cap Lily
Division 2: Martagon Hybrid – Dainty downward-facing blossoms, strikingly colored. (Turk’s Cap)
Division 3: Candidum Hybrid – White flowers with a yellow base, lovely fragrance. (Madonna)
Division 4: American Hybrid – Includes hybrids of wild lilies in North America. (Tiger Lily)
Division 5: Longiflorum Hybrid – Known for Easter lily. Elegant pure white and trumpet-shaped. Fragrant. Bloom during Easter. (Easter Lily)
African Queen Lily
Division 6: Trumpet and Aurelian Hybrids – Tall and elegant with fragrant flowers, trumpet-shaped. (African Queen)
Division 7: Oriental Hybrid – Upright, large blooms with a great scent. (Stargazer, Casablanca, Acapulco)
Orange LA Hybrid Lily
Division 8: Interdivisional Hybrids – Hybrids of the previous seven divisions.
Wild Yellow and Red Lily
Division 9: Species – Wild “parents” of the previous 8 hybrids.
DRESSED TO IMPRESS BOUQUET
All the Lily Love
Hopefully, by now, you love lilies as much as we do! Their diverse shapes and vibrant colors make them truly special. Brighten someone’s day by sending them a bouquet of fragrant lilies or order them for yourself – you deserve it! Flowers by Coley has a great selection of just the perfect floral bouquet for any occasion. Check out our selection of lily bouquets and other beautiful floral arrangements now.